Our Teacher is Miss Pepper
You can email Miss Pepper on firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Teaching Assistant is Miss Slade
Our School Council Reps are
Our Teacher is Miss Morris
You can email Miss Morris on email@example.com
Our Teaching Assistant is Mrs Rodriguez
Our School Council Reps are
In Year 2, our learning continues to be thematic. Here is an outline of our topics for the year:
A study of the SS Forfarshire disaster and the role Grace Darling played in the rescue.
In this topic we look at where Meerkats live, how they behave and we even get to visit them at Marwell Zoo.
The children learn about the importance of healthy eating through our Power of Reading text ‘Burger Boy’. They get to make a variety of healthy snacks including veggie burgers.
In this topic we study a number of traditional fairy tales as well as some twisted ones that the children create.
A study of Paris and the attractions in this city. They learn about William the detective cat who solves a crime.
In this topic we learn about the Amazon Rainforest and the animals that live there.
Our Year 2 children have:
- PE with Mr Lane every Monday and Friday
- Music with Mrs Byles on a Monday
- Recorder lessons with Mrs Byles on a Thursday
- Spanish with Mrs Coulson on a Wednesday
- ‘Forest School’ with Mr Motte on a Tuesday, for a series of 6 weekly sessions at some point this year. Only 10 children will attend Forest School from a class each term. Autumn 1 – 10 children from 2KP, Autumn 2 – 10 children from 2LM, Spring 1 – 10 children from 2KP, Spring 2 – 10 children from 2LM, Summer 1 – 10 children from 2KP, Summer 2 – 10 children from 2LM. When your child is due to start Forest School, you will receive a letter to let you know. When it is your child’s turn to attend Forest School, please remember that they are able to wear their Forest School clothes to school for the day.
Daily reading continues to be of paramount importance for your child’s development. In addition to completing their reading books, please prioritise reading for pleasure at home – reading to your child is just as beneficial. Each week, we share our ‘Recommended Reads,’ so do encourage your child to be ready to talk about a book or author that they are enjoying.
In addition to daily reading, the children will be set homework on a Friday and have one week to complete it before further home learning tasks are set. A Literacy activity will be set in their homework books or via Purple Mash and a mathematics ‘homework’ will be allocated to them on their Mathletics account. Home learning is intended to consolidate what the children have been learning in their lessons. The children can also work on their recall and fluency by playing on Live Mathletics. We ask that they try their best to earn 1000 points on Mathletics every week please.
If your child would like to do extra home learning, then there are lots of educational games available on both Mathletics and Purple Mash as well as additional reading books on Oxford Reading Buddy.
USEFUL WEBSITE LINKS
In Year 2, our children earn gold coins (they are now collecting the gold at the end of the rainbow), which they can trade in for something on our ‘Gold Coin Shopping List.’ Unfortunately, due to Covid, we are unable to give out gold coins currently and so the children in Year 2 are earning Dojo Points instead. The top scorer at the end of each day is the ‘Dojo Hero’ the following day and gets to sit in the comfy chair!
These rewards are given out when children are…
- Ready to learn (e.g. showing good listening skills – listening to teachers and each other)
- Trying their best and working hard (e.g. persevering when things are tricky, sharing their ideas in lessons, taking care over their presentation, using resources and equipment to help them, working well with others)
- Kind and caring towards others (e.g. helping someone who is stuck or lonely, caring for someone who is hurt, supporting someone else with their learning).